Is it possible to find a scope that will deliver a high level of performance on a 22 lr but cost less than $200? With technology developments by scope manufacturers today, the answer is a resounding yes.
A few years ago any scope that cost less than $200 was usually junk. They wouldn’t hold zero well, had only the very basic features, were cheap looking, awful lense clarity, and weren’t very durable. Not the case today.
Manufacturers have realized that the rimfire market is exploding for many reasons and they all want to be a part of it. They also realize that many of the shooters who make up that market are very cost conscious and that is one of the big draws to get into rimfire shooting.
It’s a general rule of thumb for shooters that for a good rifle / scope combo you should invest as much into the scope as you have into the rifle.
I have conducted a lot of market research, in addition to shooting each one, to identify very low priced scopes that are capable of delivering great performance on rimfire rifles. They will also last the lifetime of the rifle and in most cases carry a lifetime guarantee.
Below are my findings and recommendations for the best 22 lr scopes priced less than $200.
Best 22 lr scopes less than $200
|Best Bargain||Vortex Optics Crossfire II 2-7×32|
|Most Flexible||Monstrum G2|
|Best Overall||Athlon Talos 6-24×50|
|Best Value||Primary Arms Classic 4-16×44|
|Click image for latest price|
|Objective diameter (mm)||32||24||50||44|
|Tube diameter||1 inch||30 mm||1 inch||30 mm|
|Eye relief||3.9 inches||4.25 inches||3 inches||3.5 inches|
Actual Customer Ratings
|Scope||# Actual Customer Ratings||Score 1-5 |
5 being best
|Vortex Crossfire II 2-7×32||280||4.8|
|Athlon Talos 6-24×50||101||4.3|
|Primary Arms Classic 4-16×44||198||4.6|
Best Bargain – Vortex Optics Crossfire II 2-7×32
- The 2-7×32 Crossfire II Rimfire riflescope is one of many configurations in the Crossfire II line. The V-Plex reticle is a popular all-purpose hunting reticle intended for a variety of hunting applications.
- With long eye relief and an ultra-forgiving eye box, you’ll be able to quickly get a sight picture and acquire your target. The fast focus eyepiece allows quick and easy reticle focusing.
- Anti-reflective, fully multi-coated lenses provide bright and clear views for the user.
- Capped reset turrets are finger adjustable with MOA clicks that can be reset to zero after sighting in.
- A single piece tube constructed from aircraft grade aluminum ensures strength and shockproof performance. O-ring sealed and nitrogen purged, the Crossfire II delivers waterproof and fog proof performance.
Most Flexible – Monstrum G2 1-4×24 First Focal Plane
- High precision tactical rifle scope with 1-4x magnification, a 24mm objective lens, and an eye relief of 4-4.5 inches
- Functionally designed first focal plane rangefinder reticle, with easy-to-read ranging information that remains constant regardless of magnification, for faster range estimation and holdover correction
- Dial controlled reticle illumination in both red and green with multiple brightness intensities, for better reticle visibility at night or in low light in environments
- Aircraft grade aluminum construction with a 30mm sealed, nitrogen charged tube for resistance to water and fog
- Package also includes set of medium profile picatinny scope rings, a detachable honeycomb filter sunshade, a set of spring loaded flip-up lens covers, a lint free cleaning cloth, and one CR2032 3V battery
Picture of actual reticle below
Best Overall – Athlon Optics Talos 6-24×50
- Fully multi-coated lenses gives you better light transmission to bring optimum brightness and true color across the entire light Spectrum
- Reticle etched on the Glass that provides excellent backing support for complex reticle design and offers great durability and much higher shock resistance to Recoil
- Heat treated one piece tube gives the scope extra strength over multi-piece tubes. A one piece tube also is better at keeping moisture out thus keeping your scope fog proof for the life of the product
- Nitrogen purging dramatically reduces the moisture inside the tube and helps maintaining Fog proof and waterproof
- Aircraft grade aluminum tube that has exceptional strength and superior mechanical integrity will protect these world class optics no matter what punishment you throw at it
Best Value – Primary Arms Classic Series 4-16x44mm
- MIL-DOT RETICLE: The second focal plane design keeps the simple, unobtrusive mil-dot reticle the same size at any magnification while guiding the user’s eye to the center
- PARTIAL RETICLE ILLUMINATION: Powered by a common CR2032 battery, the center mil-dot section illuminates red and features 12 brightness settings for use in low-light conditions
- DURABILITY: This tough scope is shockproof, waterproof and fog proof
- TURRETS: Locking, zero resettable turrets have tactile and audible ¼ MOA click adjustments
- 1-YEAR WARRANTY: We’ve got you covered for a year after purchase – If a defect due to materials or workmanship has caused your product to malfunction, Primary Arms will either repair or replace it
All of these scopes will suit the average 22 plinker’s needs and will last for years with the proper care.
Whether squirrel hunting, varmint control, plinking cans up close and out beyond 50 yards, they will maximize the fun by drastically improving your ability over irons sights.
One thing you will notice when looking at the table above is that the magnification levels vary considerably in my recommendations. From 1-4 all the way up to 6-24.
I wanted to provide recommendations in all magnification ranges and objective size (light gathering ability) to give all shooters great choices in these price ranges. Shooters have different preferences depending on their planned use for the scope.
There is a lower priced category on Amazon of scopes that cost less than $100. My recommendation is to stay away from these. They are toys at best and will deliver nowhere near the accuracy or dependability as those above.